Backend Software Engineer
✓ Full-time or contract ✓ Remote
- You have experience writing robust APIs, managing databases, implementing authentication, and working with complex datasets
- You like solving tough problems to make a big impact on the world
- Data, AI, and machine learning are exciting to you
- Building highly performant backend systems to support millions of end-users sounds exciting to you
- You like to get sh-tuff done
- You are not intimidated by heavy gif and emoji usage and genuinely care about the people you work with 😉
Sound awesome? Apply here! →
💾 Backend Software Engineer
Engineering is at the heart of Spren, a fast-growing well-funded early stage tech startup.
Formerly known as "Elite HRV", we built the top HRV biomarker toolkit in the world for health, wellness, stress management, and fitness. That journey led to the creation of a game-changing new technology for generating biomarker-based insights with AI at its core.
Your work will empower people on all 7 continents to radically change the way they live, work and play. Together, we are creating a bridge to the future of human-tech interaction.
✨ The Career Opportunity
This role will initially focus on building 3rd-party integrations alongside a team of other smart, adaptable, and hardworking engineers.
As the role evolves, there will be opportunities to work on the Spren API which allows 3rd-party product/dev teams to capture and use biomarker data from wearables, cameras and other sensors and integrations. Our partners already serve over 30 million end-users today.
Fundamentally, we’re looking for someone who is highly-adaptable to help own all things pertaining the backend systems we currently have and those we plan to build.
- Build 3rd-party integrations with other wellness, health, and fitness products
- Build generative AI infrastructure and backend systems
- Help build a pipeline to make complex data from multiple sources useful to both users and for internal R&D when appropriate
- Help R&D build tooling and systems
- Develop and deploy robust APIs
- Utilize and contribute to open source projects
- Contribute to critical architecture decisions
- Improve the lives of millions of people around the world
- Learn, iterate, and tackle a diverse set of high profile problems!
💻 Skills & Tech Stack
If you like working with modern and fast-moving technologies, you'll feel at home here. You are:
- Confident in your ability to use AWS, containers, serverless architectures, and infrastructure as code
- Knowledgable about the tradeoffs between serverless architecture and containerized solutions
- Experienced at architecting and building robust and performant databases
- Passionate about writing clean, efficient, and well-tested code
- A fan of leaving many unmerged branches in the Git repo (just kidding, please no!)
- Comfortable with robust security and authentication protocols
- Experienced sending/receiving data via API requests
- Passionate about the end-user experience, and you love to hear when end-users are delighted by your work
We are a Serverless-First shop, utilizing managed services from AWS wherever possible to reduce operational burden on our engineers. These AWS services include:
- API Gateway
- Step Functions
We also utilize the AWS-CDK to define our infrastructure and have a robust CI/CD pipeline.
👯 The Team
Our team is the most important asset we have. But don't take our word for it -- you'll meet the other engineers on your team in the interview process, so ask them! A few highlights:
- You’ll join a team of eager and fearless learners, focused on making great products for our customers
- You'll fit in well if you’re attracted to solving tough problems and a collaborative learning approach
- You’ll work most closely with the ML Engineering, Product Management, QA and core Engineering teams
- Every single person has a major and immediate impact in the company trajectory at this stage
- You contribution will directly affect millions of end-users
We were working remotely before remote work was cool.
You can expect:
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Competitive healthcare and retirement benefits
- Work from anywhere
- Flexible vacation and work hours
- Stipends for wellness and co-working
As well as:
- Conscious emphasis on work-life balance
- Whatever hardware/software you need to succeed
- Mentorship and targeted training for whatever you need to succeed
- Respect and transparency across the entire company
- The opportunity to learn a ton (regardless of how much experience you have) and to make a big dent in the universe
- Autonomy and ownership over your work
- A team that deeply cares about each other and our mission, with tons of room for career advancement across the entire company
It's time to make a difference.
It's incredibly rare to join a startup at this stage. We are a small tribe that is making a big difference in the world's health, fitness, and wellness.
You will not only shape the product we're building, but the entire company, our processes, our culture, the thousands of dev teams we'll support, and the millions of end-users we serve.
If you enjoy learning quickly and exponential growth doesn't scare you, we'd love to chat and see if there may be a fit.